In March 2013, Japanese business magazine Tōyō Keizai borrowed the cultural term Black Ships黒船 to capture the threat music streaming service Spoitify posed to the Japanese music industry. The Black Ships were American commodore Mathew Perry’s fleet that approached Tokyo Bay in 1853 with the sole purpose of coercing Japan to open its gates to Western trade. The American vessels utilised an innovative technology steam in the service of a disruptive ideology capitalism. Analogously,...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events