Cannes Lions has announced a list of jury presidents for next year's festival that improves on attempts to make the jury leadership more diverse, inclusive and global.
For the first time ever, women presidents (15) outnumber men (13) and there's a slightly higher ratio of presidents who are based outside of the US and UK.
The APAC region will send five jury presidents (photos above, names in bold below) to the June 22-26 festival this year, as opposed to just two last year.
Campaign Asia-Pacific was a vocal critic of the jury president's list last year, when 24 of 27 of those chosen resided in the US or UK. This year's ratio is slightly more globally diverse, though half of the jury presidents (14) work in the US and another eight work in the UK (some of these global leaders originate from other countries).
There is also one president from Latin America (Brazil) this year, as opposed to none last year, although the region, along with the Middle East, Africa and Europe is still clearly under-represented.
This year's jury president list also makes more of an effort to reach out beyond just agencies to platforms and brands. Ann Mukherjee, the chairman and CEO of Pernod Ricard North America will preside over this year's Creative Effectiveness jury, while Jayanta Jenkins, the newly appointed creative lead for Samsung Mobile at Cheil (and former creative at Twitter and Apple) will head up the Industry Craft jury.
Google and Facebook were each awarded a jury presidency, and some star-power was added to this year with former Fugees and solo music artist Wyclef Jean, now president of Carnival World Music Group, leading the Entertainment Lions for Music jury.
Cannes Lion 2020 Jury Presidents:
- Titanium Lions - Susan Credle, Global Chief Creative Officer, FCB, Global (US)
- Design Lions - Pum Lefebure, Co-Founder & Chief Creative Officer, Design Army, USA
- Film Lions - Richard Brim, Chief Creative Officer, adam&eveDDB, UK
- Mobile Lions - Andrew Keller, VP, Global Creative Director, Facebook, Global (US)
- Outdoor Lions - Luiz Sanches, Chairman, Chief Creative Officer & Partner, AlmapBBDO, Brazil
- Print & Publishing Lions - Liz Taylor, Global Chief Creative Officer Leo Burnett / Worldwide Chief Creative Officer Publicis Communications NA (US)
- Radio & Audio Lions - Ted Lim, Chief Creative Officer, Dentsu Brand Agencies, Dentsu Aegis Network, APAC (Singapore)
- Digital Craft Lions - Jax Ostle-Evans, Managing Director, Stink Studios, UK
- Film Craft Lions - Kerstin Emhoff, President, PRETTYBIRD, USA
- Industry Craft Lions - Jayanta Jenkins, Global Executive Creative Director, Samsung Mobile, Cheil Worldwide, Global (US)
- Entertainment Lions - Jae Goodman, CEO, Observatory, Global (US)
- Entertainment Lions for Music - Wyclef Jean, President and Chief Strategy Officer, Carnival World Music Group, USA
- Entertainment Lions for Sport - Ben Hartman, Chief Client Officer, International, Octagon, Global (Australia)
- Brand Experience & Activation Lions - Vicki Maguire, Chief Creative Officer, Havas, UK
- Creative Business Transformation Lions - Ronald Ng, Global Chief Creative Officer, Isobar, Global (US)
- Creative eCommerce Lions - Tiffany Rolfe, EVP Chief Creative Officer, R/GA, USA
- Glass: The Lion for Change - Karen Blackett OBE, WPP UK Country Manager and Chairwoman MediaCom UK & Ireland
- Sustainable Development Goals Lions - Eduardo Maruri, VP Global Creative Board & President/CEO Europe, Grey Worldwide, Global (UK)
- Health & Wellness Lions - Tom Richards, Chief Creative Officer and Chairman of the Havas Health Global Creative Council, Havas Lynx, Global (UK)
- Pharma Lions - Anne de Schweinitz, Global Managing Director, Healthcare, FleishmanHillard, Global (UK)
- Innovation Lions - Claudia Cristovao, Head of Google Brand Studio, APAC, Google (Japan)
- Creative Effectiveness Lions - Ann Mukherjee, Chairman & CEO, North America, Pernod Ricard NA, USA
- Creative Data Lions - Maurice Riley, Chief Data Officer, Digitas, Australia & New Zealand
- Creative Strategy Lions - Suzanne Powers, Global Chief Strategy Officer, McCann Worldgroup, Global (US)
- Direct Lions - Sonal Dabral, Chief Creative Officer, South & SE Asia & Vice Chairman, India, Ogilvy, South & SE Asia (India)
- Media Lions - Philippa Brown, Worldwide CEO, PHD, Global (UK)
- PR Lions - Gail Heimann, President & CEO, Weber Shandwick, USA
- Social & Influencer Lions - Debbi Vandeven, Global Chief Creative Officer, VMLY&R, Global (US)