The year is 2019, yet brands and agencies still haven't learned that using face makeup to portray people of colour tends to go badly.
In the latest example, e-payments website E-Pay hired Singaporean-Chinese Mediacorp actor Dennis Chew to portray multiple characters including a Singaporean-Indian man by artificially darkening his face. The name on the character’s lanyard read K.Muthusamy. The ad also featured Chew as a Singaporean-Malay woman in a tudung, and a Chinese man and...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events