Editor's note This column has sparked a strong reaction. Please see On suicide, overtime and responsibility.
The recent news around Dentsu employee Matsuri Takahashi’s suicide last Christmas being the result of “karoshi” or “death by overtime” has again ignited a discussion around worklife balance in the advertising industry world and what needs to be done to prevent this terrible tragedy from ever happening again.
Overtime should never be celebrated as...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events