Google will now block extensions on the Chrome Web Store that mine cryptocurrency.
In the blog post announcing the decision, James Wagner, extensions platform product manager at Google, said that the company identified a rise in malicious extensions that were hurting the user experience, heating up devices and consuming processing power by running resource-intensive cryptocurrency mining scripts.
The announcement follows the decision by Apple less than a month ago to remove...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events