The ad pictured for a new product called the “charcoal donut” featured an image of a woman with jet black hair and face, along with the slogan “Break every rule of deliciousness.”
Human Rights Watch complained about the ad, which brought it to the attention of western media, notably the Huffington Post. Particularly in the US, a non-black person donning makeup to appear black is seen as extremely inflammatory, as it hearkens back...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events