As it did in China in 2016, Uber has decided that if it can't beat a locally grown competitor, it's better to sell to it. In news that broke over the weekend, Grab will acquire Uber's operations in Southeast Asia Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Uber will take a 27.5% stake in Grab, and Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi will join Grab’s board.
While Uber's marketing efforts probably had...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events