This year’s event includes 116 participants from several countries in Asia, including Singapore, Japan, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, China and India.
Henderson, president of global account management with Omnicom Media Group, who has chaired multiple prior MediaWorks, stressed the importance of teamwork in her opening address. “The team that usually wins is one that starts as a team at the very outset,” she said. “So make sure you’re inclusive.”
During day one of the event, being held at The Stones Legian, delegates split into 11 teams, each of which will work closely with an industry expert as mentor.
The mentors are:
- Gulrez Alam, chief development officer, APAC, ZenithOptimedia
- Vineet B. Arora, MD China and head of integration, Arena (part of Havas Media Group)
- Kristian Barnes, APAC CEO, Vizeum
- Tess Caven, human experience strategy leader, Starcom MediaVest Group
- Audrey Kuah, Dentsu Aegis Network, Singapore
- Lilian Leong, MD, IPG Mediabrands, Hong Kong
- Steve Garton, principal, Steve Garton Consulting
- Charlie Newbery, regional head of media, Red Fuse Communications
- Sean O’Brien, APAC CEO, Carat
- Neil Stewart, chief client officer, Global, Maxus
- Susana Tsui, APAC CEO, PHD
Team cohesion and efficiency were put to the test early with a day-one requirement to design and produce team logos.
Next, Henderson revealed Tuborg as the client and introduced delegates to Priyadarshini Sharma, international brand director for premium brands at Carlsberg Group (pictured).
The brief, Sharma explained, involves Tuborg’s launch into a new market in Asia-Pacific. The company's objective is to get consumers to think of Tuborg as a modern and fun brand while driving trial and frequency. “Our mission is to be a beacon brand among the youth, and the media plan should focus on recruiting new consumers,” Sharma said.
Tuborg is looking for a holistic media plan, which should include media mix and activation, she pointed out, while warning teams to be attentive to the legal considerations of advertising for alcohol brands.