“Boycott Smithfield Americans don’t want the Chinese involved with our food supply,” growled an angry American on Facebook when he learnt the Virginia-based pork company was bought by China’s Shuanghui for US$4.72 billion last September.
It was a similar tale in January when Suntory, the Japanese drinks firm, took control of Beam Inc, producers of the Jim Beam and Maker’s Mark bourbon brands.
“Sad to hear Jim Beam Maker’s...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events