Authorities in Beijing have shut down an app suspected of artificially promoting a pop idol’s online clout by faking likes and shares, sending a warning about the credibility of China’s massive fan economy fueled by digital influencers.
Xingyuan which translates into “celebrity helper” in English, the app behind pop star Cai Xunkun’s remarkable 100 million reposts, was shut down in a recent internet “clean-up” campaign, and a principle, coincidentally also surnamed Cai, was...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events