The report The Million Follower Fallacy found that popular users with a high number of followers are not necessarily influential in terms of spawning retweets or mentions.
The research by Meeyoung Cha from the Max Planck Institute for Software Systems in Germany among others looked at data from 52 million Twitter accounts or almost half of the Twittersphere and more closely examined at six million more active users.
The research found that...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events