Matthew Miller
Jan 25, 2017

GroupM acquires controlling stake in MediaCom India

WPP's media investment arm ups its ownership to 74 percent.

CVL Srinivas, CEO of GroupM South Asia
CVL Srinivas, CEO of GroupM South Asia

GroupM is increasing its investment in MediaCom India to a controlling interest to allow the agency to "access and tap into the global reach and infrastructure of GroupM", according to the company.

MediaCom India is a joint venture of GroupM and Sam Balsara, the principal shareholder of the Madison Media group. Balsara and his family held a controlling stake of 51 percent with WPP holding the remaining 49 per cent.

Speaking to Campaign India today, Balsara said the latest development was in line with the original agreement in 2008, and that GroupM is increasing its stake to 74 percent. Balsara and family will hold the remaining 26 percent. 

The acquisition is part of WPP's strategy to invest in fast-growth markets, it said in a release. Founded in 2007, MediaCom India employs about 170 people and has offices in Gurgaon, Bangalore and Mumbai as well as a representative office in Chennai.

Clients include Dell, Edelweiss, Future Group, Makemytrip.com, Mars, Pedigree, Piaggio, P&G, Royal Enfield, SAB Miller, Tata Docomo, Urban Ladder, Wellspun and Wrigley’s.

MediaCom India's revenues were around INR 700 million (US$10.2 million) in 2016 with assets of INR 90 million (US$1.32 million) as of the same date.

Update, 3:50 pm: Added comments and ownership percentage obtained by Campaign India from Balsara.

Related Articles

Just Published

11 hours ago

Move and win roundup: Week of July 4, 2022

Developments from MullenLowe Singapore, Alley Group in ANZ and VMLY&R Malaysia.

11 hours ago

Covid taught us how to build human-first workplaces

The pandemic accelerated conversations and real action around work-life balance; mental health and wellness; and leadership and culture, says the deputy managing director at Redhill.

12 hours ago

One size does not fit all when selecting China ...

SHANGHAI ZHAN PODCAST: When it comes to selecting China social influencers or KOLs, brands should recognise the unique differences between brand building and performance enhancing KOLs. That’s according to leading China fashion and beauty KOL, Mia Liu.

12 hours ago

Tech MVP 2022: Tomy Chan, Publicis Groupe

MOST VALUABLE PROFESSIONAL: As head of tech for Publicis Groupe, China, Chan has shown strong vision and leadership in product design, development and application to achieve remarkable results.