“2017 for us was not a pretty year, with flat like-for-like, top-line growth,” summarised Martin Sorrell on WPP’s performance in early March, before news of his abrupt resignation broke on 15 April. He placed the blame in part on the parsimony of zero-based budgeters, alongside activist investors, private equity and the impact of technological disruption.
This comic below of a difficult conversation between marketer and CEO fits well with the current imperative around belt-tightening,...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events