Reactions to the Qiaobi ad on Weibo not to mention global media are not surprising given it shows a black man being shoved into a washing machine, washed with a Qiaobi laundry bead, and tada, emerging as a fair-skinned Asian man.
Racist storyline aside, the Qiaobi ad also appears to be a blatant rip-off of a 2006 ad from Italian laundry brand Coloreria Italiana, in which a Caucasian man was turned into a black...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events