Rakuten is one of a growing number of Japanese brands aiming to become as recognisable internationally as they are at home. But it now risks becoming known for the wrong reasons. The Environmental Investigation Agency EIA recently exposed thousands of ads for ivory, whale and dolphin meat on its site.
To its credit, the firm has since stopped the sales of whale and dolphin meat following an International Court of Justice order preventing Japan from...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events