The Academy of Marketing Science, an international scholarly association that publishes the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (JAMS), bestows the award annually.
"John has demonstrated throughout his career his support and appreciation of the role of marketing and its contribution to global business development," Barry Babin and Joseph Hair Jr, joint chairmen of the AMS board of governors, said.
"I’m honoured and humbled to receive such a prestigious award," Zeigler said. "Having worked in marketing for over 30 years, both on the client and agency side, I’ve never dreamed that I would be recognised by peers and academics in this way.”
Zeigler said that compared with when he started in the industry, marketing has proven its worth in generating and sustaining business success, but added that the next challenge for the industry was to take its "rightful place at the boardroom table".
Past recipients of the award include:
- Ross H. Roberts, vice-president, Ford Motor
- Joseph Plummer, former EVP, McCann-Erickson Worldwide
- Davis 'Dave' Ridley, SVP, marketing and revenue management, Southwest Airlines
- Donald R. Knauss, chairman of the board and CEO, Clorox
- Anthony J. Palmer, president, global brands and innovation, Kimberly-Clark