A statement released this evening confirmed that Sorrell, the founder of the world's biggest ad agency group, has left the role of chief executive with immediate effect.
However, Sorrell will assist with the transition as the company seeks a new leader.
It follows an internal investigation into an allegation of personal misconduct against Sorrell, which WPP said has now concluded.
Mark Read, chief executive of Wunderman and...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events