People power still rules mobile in the Philippines where the two dominant providers, Smart and Globe, regularly introduce new services to boost average revenue per user ARPU only to see their initiatives circumvented and retrofitted by the archipelago’s poorest demographic.
Famously, SMS was used in 2001 to rally Manila protesters who helped oust then President Joseph Estrada from office. Later, inexpensive prepaid mobile cards spoiled sales of more profitable postpaid landline and mobile subscriptions. Frugal Filipinos also pioneered the use...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events