Groups that face discrimination often find a powerful tool in recontextualising the very words that others use against them. Just think, 'We're here and we're queer', for example.
A recent campaign by Swedish agency Stendahls for GIL, an organisation that fights on behalf of people with disabilities, has attempted to do something similar with the offensive term 'retard'.
The work takes truly offensive statements made by supposedly normal people...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events