As a creative content shop producing work that sits at the intersection of creativity and technology, it was important for MediaMonks Shanghai to have a kitted-out office. So the company's new space is equipped with best-in-class VR headsets, AR projection technology, skeleton tracking, office live streaming, and more gadgets than we have space to mention here.
But naturally equipment is not everything. MediaMonks says the happiness of its people was the most important guiding principle when creating the Shanghai office.
In order to facilitate the comfort of its 'Monks', both physically and mentally, the space is an open environment, yet cozy, with informal social spaces that can be used for meetings, to brainstorm or simply to relax. The company wanted the office to have several different, unique settings, to ensure it wouldn’t just feel like any other office in Shanghai.
The company believes that 80% of its Monks’ time should be spent on the core business, with the remaining 20% used to nurture personal projects, oftentimes in collaboration with tech and other creative communities around Shanghai.
So MediaMonks opted for a multifunctional space in the heart of Shanghai in a renovated three-story lane house. The goal was to give every room its own unique atmosphere.
Some of the highlights:
- An open-air garden-terrace where you can enjoy a coffee on sunny days, or have a team huddle outside.
- A first floor filled with different seating areas, couches and a family room, which functions as the office living room: It’s where teams gather, everyone shares lunch, and Friday drinks and soirees take place.
- A second floor housing everyone’s desks, with a flexible work area and convertible standing desks for those who like to count calories or stretch their legs.
- Lockers to stash personal belongings in case Monks hit a mid-day gym or yoga session.
- A top floor space designed for relaxation and games with high ceilings, great lighting and terrace to decompress for a bit along with a ping-pong table.
The overall office design is classic and timeless, accentuated by wood and steel elements, with black, white and grey styling, art objects and a lot of plants. The mix of designer furniture and modern pieces adds to the ambience.
In summary, this MediaMonks office is aimed at attracting employees who are happy to get up every morning—and enjoy being at their place of work.