If the rumour mill is right and Facebook acquired WhatsApp as a tactic to enter China, Facebook has spent a lot of money reportedly US$19 billion on a gamble that looks unlikely to pay off.
Could the rumour mill have a slight case of Chinese whispers It seems more likely Facebook’s strategic acquisition of WhatsApp is proverbial fireworks to block foreign competitors such as WeChat stepping onto Facebook’s turfthe western...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events