Sales of beer have fallen for 15 years in Japan, and 2009 could see the ugliest results yet. Last year, Japan’s beer sales totalled 6.3 billion litres, according to Euromonitor, a level 11 per cent below peak sales of 7.3 billion litres in 1994. Per capita consumption fell from 57.7 litres that year to last year’s 49.5 litres. Now, courtesy of the recession, the decline has accelerated. Beer shipments fell 9.2 per cent to 31.2 million cases in February, according...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events