A series of recalls following reports of the products causing skin blotches has cost Kanebo’s parent company Kao approximately $61 million of operating profit, according to news reports.
“This is a very touchy issue especially when it concerns someone’s health and life,” said Kaz Maezawa, founder and CEO of Naked Communications, who believes that many consumers may stop buying skin whiteners altogether. “No matter what Kanebo does, its credibility has gone down significantly, and this...
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events