Torie Henderson, president of global account management for Omnicom Media Group and chairperson for the event, now in its 10th year, described 2015 as a “very important year for MediaWorks.”
Under the guidance of senior industry mentors, MediaWorks aims to replicate real life, challenging teams to pitch for a client with a real brief in real time.
This year’s event has attracted a record number of delegates, with 136 trainees from across Asia-Pacific. The participants have been split into 13 teams, each with a designated mentor.
The mentors are :
- Karl Cluck, Chief Strategy Officer, Mindshare North Asia
- Yasir Riaz, Managing Director, Starcom MediaVest Group, Indonesia
- Chris Stephenson, APAC Head of Strategy and Planning, PHD
- Ruth Stubbs, CEO, iProspect Asia Pacific
- Anathea Ruys, Head of Fuse APAC, Omnicom Media Group
- Christopher Harrison, Chief Strategy Officer – Asia Pacific, ZenithOptimedia
- Ben Sjogren, General Manager, Havas Media Australia, Havas Media Group
- Rose Huskey, Managing Director, Maxus Vietnam
- Pablo Gomez, Regional Communications Planning Director, APAC, IPG Mediabrands
- Darragh Hardy, Chief Business Development Director, MediaCom APAC
- Charlie Newbery, Regional Head of Media, Red Fuse Communications
- Nick Sekold, CEO, Mindshare Singapore, Mindshare
- Jaswinder Kaur, Vice President, Vizeum Indonesia and Vietnam, Vizeum Asia Pacific
Opening the event, Henderson offered the delegates some words of advice. Then Mondelez International’s cookie brand Oreo was revealed as the client, with a brief specifically aimed at Oreo Mini.
“We want to grow Mini Oreo across Asia, but we have some challenges,” read the brief. The main objective? "Accelerate NR growth for Mini Oreo in Asia-Pacific."
Representing the client are:
- Sean O'Brien, CEO Asia Pacific, Carat (client chair)
- Sindhuja Rai, Associate Director, Media & Consumer Engagement, Asia Pacific, Mondelēz Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
Before Mondelez presented the challenge to the delegates, a panel of senior industry leaders shared their journeys in the media industry and offered some invaluable advice.
“Don’t forget to think,” offered Gerry Boyle, global managing partner/chairman, Asia-Pacific at ZenithOptimedia. “Really think about the brief. A client is looking for a team that can deliver, not an individual.”
Mike Amour, president Asia-Pacific, Starcom MediaVest Group, offered: “Clients want access to an organisation in the simplest possible way. They don’t want lots of things thrown at them. It’s about trying to get the brief behind the brief. What else is happening with the client? Keep it really, really simple.”
Henderson, before reminding delegates to “get some sleep”, ahead of a busy four days added: “One of the most important things to remember is to listen. The mentors are not here to do the work for you, they are here to guide.”
For updates on MediaWorks 2015, follow the hashtag #MediaWorksX on Twitter.