One of the best examples of real-world political tactics spilling over into the virtual world was the online mudslinging between the rival camps of Manuel Villar Jr. and Benigno Aquino III during May's Philippine presidential election, when each side accused the other of dirty online tactics.
Whether or not these allegations were true, what was undeniable was that both campaign teams were pouring a lot of effort, and money, into social media.
The Philippine experience is not new....
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events