Alibaba-backed logistics affiliate Cainiao had a major fight over data ownership with competing courier brand SF Express last week. This reinforces Alibaba's tendency to withhold data within its own ecosystem. From a publisher’s perspective, protection of consumer privacy and data security is often used as an excuse for restricting access. Even if the spat between Cainiao and SF is over logistics data as opposed to advertising data, Alibaba used the same privacy and security arguments.
- Campaign Asia-Pacific online premium content* including in-depth monthly focus on key trends and industry issues
- Unlimited website access*, and an archive of more than 70,000 articles
- Regular value-added supplements including brand health checks, sector studies, ad critiques and research charts
- Daily newsletters and breaking story alerts straight to your inbox
- New weekly feature articles on the latest research, innovation and marketing trends
- Be the first to hear about industry events